Saturday, October 29, 2011

Update...

Round 1 of my green laundry was only a semi-success.  Note to self: there are different sizes of graters!  I needed to get my bar of soap grated into a much finer substance instead of looking like shredded cheese.  Oops!  Live and learn, right?  When I used this first batch I could see little bits of the bar soap floating around as the washer ran.  I went ahead and set it for a second rinse...just in case!  The laundry came out fresh & clean, so I was very happy with the recipe. 

The natural bar soap I purchased here was super soft, so I unwrapped the second bar to allow it to dry out and harden a bit before I make batch #2.  (Can I tell you hat this soap had an absolutely beautiful, herbal smell.  It's not strong enough to stick to the clothes, but still delightful!)

Going back to batch #1: Some changes were needed to make this the laundry soap I was wanting.  (Who wants to have to waste all that water running a second rinse every time?)   I allowed it a couple of days to dry the shredded soap particles to dry a bit.  Then I put it through my trusty Magic Bullet (one of the best inventions ever, IMHO.)  Out came the fine powdered detergent I was hoping for int he beginning.  It's running through my washer as we speak!

Next project: Homemade Automatic Dishwasher Detergent.  I found a recipe that I am going to try on DIY Natural.  Since I just made laundry detergent, I already have almost all of the ingredients on hand!  Now I just need to order some citric acid and pick up some kosher salt next time I'm at the grocery store.e   I'm not low on detergent yet, so this project may be on hold for a little while.  I am looking forward to it, though.

There's just something so great about knowing exactly what you are putting on your clothing and dishes, as well as what you are sending out into the environment.  Add huge savings to that, and it's an all around win!

No comments:

Post a Comment